19 December 2006

TIME Magazine Person of the Year -

I would like to take this moment to thank TIME magazine for naming me person of the year. I appreciate that TIME saw fit to recognize “that time and that energy and that passion” which I use to post and you use to read. I have to admit that sometimes I’m reading and posting not from the energy which I have but because I have no energy and since there are so few worthwhile things to watch on network TV, the internet is my evening relaxation.
Of course, I do agree with TIME that “Some of the comments on YouTube make you weep for the future of humanity just for the spelling alone, never mind the obscenity and the naked hatred.” I’ve also met some incredible people online, people who will mail chocolate to me just to prove my teacher wrong (and I have your trade items sitting in my TV room, I just haven’t mailed them to you yet).
I loved that I had a woman from India who posted comments to my blog when I first started and I would like to think that as I learned from her, she learned and understood me better too.
The communities I belong to exemplify the TIME conclusion, “This is an opportunity to build a new kind of international understanding, not politician to politician, great man to great man, but citizen to citizen, person to person. It's a chance for people to look at a computer screen and really, genuinely wonder who's out there looking back at them. Go on. Tell us you're not just a little bit curious.” Too bad they left out Stitcher to Stitcher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home