04 December 2006

SuDoku as a Logic puzzle?

My travel rituals always start with a stop at Crismon’s News and Views. Unfortunately, Sudoku has replaced logic problems at the newsstand. So I picked up the New York Post Su Doku Difficult book and a note in the forward has changed my attitude and strategy for these puzzles. Wayne Gould who is a Su Doku designer states: “If you are writing too many pencil marks, it means you are not understanding how the puzzle works. You are relying too much on mechanical procedures, without appreciating the underlying logic. If, in time, you can shake yourself free of written pencil marks, you will see the Su Doku puzzle for what it is – a thing of beauty!”
So I tried it his way. I tried it putting only the number that I logically knew went in the square. If I could only narrow it down to one or two, I went to a different part of the puzzle and then came back later. I’m finding that I’m solving them faster and they’re easier than before and without the little pencil marks that were distracting me before. He’s right; they’re just another logic puzzle without the fun stories. Both are solved through a process of elimination and they make beautiful sense.

3 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Schokti said...

Without pencil marks, huh? lol - it may take me some time to get to that point. My brain has a hard time making that "logical leap".

(And my brain is also saying, "What do they teach these children in schools these days?")

 
At 11:58 AM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Sara said...

That's how I learned to do Sudoku. My first experience with Sudoku was when my DH bought me a handheld Sudoku so I didn't have a choice about marking possibilities in the squares. Enjoy your new solving method!

 
At 11:27 PM, December 09, 2006, Blogger Sadina Saphrite said...

Dude, that's how I've always done it. Weirdo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home