22 July 2009

Refreshed and Revitalized

Just so you know, I took two days off work and just played. I watched movies, went to the zoo and saw the baby snow leopard. I finished one of the Stretch pillowcases I've been working on since 2000 when the pattern first came out and started working on the 2nd only to realize that blue grey linen was not the best choice of background to put the pattern on the pillowcase. I also set the stash room up with projects set so I could work on multiple things at the same time.

Yes, I can hear my MBA professors saying "Multitasking is inefficient." I am an ADHD crafter. This means my attention span lasts about 15 to 20 minutes. If I had to clean up and set up the next project nothing would be done. I have set up 5 stations in my craft room *(okay 6 if you count the computer)* Sewing machine, iron, quilting on the stand, cutting board and stitching. I have an iron that turns itself off so I don't worry much about forgetting to unplug it.

Each station has a project in process. True the sewing machine, cutting table, and ironing board are all the same piecing project but it's in different segments and when I leave each station, it's set up so I can sit down and start on the next step without having to gather things. The Quilt on the stand is almost done. I can do about 2 motifs before I need to move on to something else. The cutting board is between the quilting and stitching because they are different hand movements and gives me a break between the two stations. The ironing works well after the sewing since I can press the pieces I just finished sewing and they can move from ironing to cutting and back to sewing without my losing interest. The pressing part is also a way of doing quality control on what I just finished so that I don't forget what it was supposed to look like in between the steps. I can tell you I've been much more productive in smaller increments of time for my hobby by having this set up.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, July 23, 2009, Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said...

I think that is totally awesome! (I also think having a craft room is awesome, LOL.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home